Date:      Sun, 02 May 1999 12:22:59 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD interrupt responsetime...

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 12:22:59 +0200
Sender: phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Bcc: Blind Distribution List: ;

A company asked me for data on interrupt response times in FreeBSD and
I've done a setup in my lab to measure it.

I have completed the first half of the task: characterising the
jitter on the response time, and the data are presented for all to
see here.

The second half of the task is more tricky: measuring the delay
from the external stimuli until we execute the first statement in
the interrupt handler, but if I can crack that nut data will be
forthcoming on that as well.

These data are for the ppsdriver, using a FAST_INTR, running in single
user mode with no other programs, and only a tickle of data stored to
the disk from the measuring program.  The input event rate was 1Hz.

Total samples:		86664
Standard Deviation:	250 nsec
Average:		0		(dataset centered on mean)
Median:			-30.1 nsec
Min:			-763 nsec
Max:			2936 nsec

first column:	the percentage of samples
second column:  +/- span around the median in nsec
third column:  +/- span around the mean in nsec

In other words, 50 percent of the samples were inside a
band of +/- 137 nsec of the mean of all the samples.

 10      	  23      24
 20      	  48      49
 30      	  74      75
 40      	 102     104
 50      	 132     137
 60      	 168     174
 70      	 208     217
 75      	 233     242
 80      	 261     271
 90      	 356     358
 95      	 474     456
 97.5    	 636     606
 98      	 693     663
 98.5    	 763     733
 99      	 864     834
 99.25   	 992     962
 99.5    	1215    1184
 99.75   	1215    1436
 99.9    	1642    1612
 99.95   	1741    1711
 99.99   	2040    2009
100     	2966    2936

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--