Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 12:57:56 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject:   End-Of-Life announcement for M-Systems DiskOnChip driver ("fla").

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

To: hackers@freebsd.org
From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 12:57:56 +0100

This is _only_ about the driver for the DiskOnChip devices from
M-Systems.  This does not affect any other device.  If you have
never seen a /dev/fla0 mounted on your system, you don't need to
read the rest.

I realize that there are users of the DiskOnChip hardware out there
now, but I seriously don't expect there to be any users once we get
to FreeBSD 6.0 so I plant to remove the driver once the 5-stable
branch is laid down.

This means that the 5.x series of FreeBSD releases will be the last
to have built in support for the Disk-On-Chip driver.

The driver in the tree works with the M-systems devices I have to
test with, but M-Systems have neither sent me the necessary software
updates nor hardware samples of the latest generation of the DoC
and I have received no emails from people who were stuck because
of this.

Combine this with the fact that the DoC is a CPU-poll technology
where you busy-wait for the flash devices to do their thing, rather
than get an interrupt when they are done, I think we can safely say
that the DoC is well past its prime time.

As far as I can tell, people use CompactFlash these days instead.

Protests to:  phk@freebsd.org

Poul-Henning

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--