Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:17:42 +0300
From:      "Abdulla Hamad M. AlAthba" <explorer@qatar.net.qa>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'freebsd-info@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-info@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FW: FreeBSD Server

Dear Sir,

I got this mail from my isp which i'll go to have Freebsd server,

Please i need a help to answer these Questions to have fast server, i'll use my server to be IRC server for Clients not as hub server

My server is Intel 333 Mhz and has 128 mb sdram with 2 GB HD.
So which is beter Number of file descriptors compiled in kernel: dynamically allocated or 2048 ?

Thanks

Best Regards

Abdulla
Hello,

	I am the person who will be installing your second FreeBSD Server.  I will
install the software and eMail you once the basic FreeBSD installation is
completed.  Since FreeBSD is free, and many people use it wanting to
customize it to their own taste, I always leave the software installation
CD in the CDRom drive so that you can easily modify the OS as you choose.
As you are aware, we are unable to provide support for FreeBSD (though we
can support the commercial BSDi & Windows NT).  As with all the free
software, security is a grave problem.  I urge you to stay informed through
your local FreeBSD Support Club or mailing list for all secuirty upgrades
and install them as soon as they become available.

	The installation of FreeBSD on your server will be version 2.2.5 from
Walnut Creek.  Once the installation is complete, you should install any
patches for your software that where released this year (prior to the Walnu
Creek release of FreeBSD 2.2.5).  Though I know this is basic security
procedures, I always make note to express this (many people honestly do
believe servers update themselfs).

The hard drive will also be formatted as you requested with the file descriptors set to 2048.  You (or your system administrator) will be responsible for customizing the kernal
to fit your software requirements.  For your convience, we leave the
default kernal installed.

James Fabin
System Administrator