Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 98 16:41:11 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "jkh@freebsd.org" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Important questions regarding the new slice code

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:51:46 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> I'm working on the final revision of the FOO.TXT stuff and it dawned on
>> me that I was unclear on something. Let's say that a user has a 2.2.5
>> system with a customized 2.2.5 kernel, the "upgrade from sysintstall"
>> method will obviously update mount, but will it update the kernel? If
>> not, what are the possible repercussions?
>
>It will update the kernel in that it will splat the new GENERIC one
>right on top.  If the user had heavily customized it, there will
>of course be repercussions.

	Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

>> 	I am planning to go with the following text regarding this issue in
>> IMPORTNT.TXT since Mike never got back to me with updated information.
>
>Hmmm.  I agree that this should be covered, I'm just still not exactly
>sure where.

	Here's the layout I'm using per my previous post about this. I
should have things basically laid out and knocked into a final form in a
couple hours.

ROAD MAP:

  README.TXT    This file

  RELNOTES.TXT  Release Notes - what's new & different in this release

  ABOUT.TXT     All about FreeBSD including contact information

  OVERVIEW.TXT  Details about what's contained in this distribution

  HARDWARE.TXT  Information about supported hardware

  IMPORTNT.TXT  Important information you should read before doing an
                upgrade or new installation

  INSTALL.TXT   How to make a new installation of FreeBSD on your PC
                using the data you see here

  UPGRADE.TXT   How to upgrade your existing FreeBSD installation

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server.  4,710 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***