Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 1996 22:45:59 -0700
From:      mdeliga <mdeliga@metronet.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Can't start the X-server.

Dear friends. I have installed FreeBSD up and running. When I want to
start the X-server with startx, I get the message: Can't find startx.
Going into the subdirectory /usr/X11R6/bin and typing: ./startx the
machine answeres: Can't find xinit. I have configured the Xserver with
xf86config through /stand/sysinstall. I have set the path in
/etc/profile through: # echo 'PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin' >>/etc/profile.
But what's wondering me is that within /etc/profile there is nothing
written exept some # marked out command- and explanation lines. I also
checked out the symlink of /usr/X11R6/bin/X which pointed to the
appropriate S3 Xserver. I also had xdm running.
I can tell you, I really tried hard for at least two weaks. I have
bought two books which couldn't resolve the problem.
1st question: What about not finding the startx file?
2nd question: Where and how to configure the shell (path etc.)?
3rd question: I need a really good book about freeBSD/and X
configuration and system-maintenance.
I thank you very much, also for answering my former question.
Michael Deliga, Munich << mdeliga@metronet.de >>