Date:      21 Jul 2002 13:42:16 -0700
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gnome2 maintenance is near impossible

<rant>I finally gnome2 working by following the freebsd.org/gnome
instructions. After that I set:

WITHOUT_GNOME=yes in make.conf so gnome1.x apps wouldn't overwrite with
older stuff. Later on I get a craving to install xmps and guess what?
Gnome2 is nuked by some gnome1.x apps that xmps wanted, even specifying
'make -DWITHOUT_GNOME' seemed to be pulling down gnome stuff. Now I'm
back in dependency Hell trying to get gnome2 back.
There has to be an easier way to design software.
</rant>

Kudos to the people who are working very hard to make this crap software
run on FreeBSD.