Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:31:22 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I rename root?

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:56:31PM -0600, Rob Zietlow wrote:
> On Sunday 30 December 2001 02:41 pm, Jeffrey wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 December 2001 02:33 am, Rogier Steehouder wrote:
<snip>
To repeat, it is pointless.
Security through obscurity is an illusion.

Besides which, few crackers try to crack passwords, if chosen
well it can take years. They go for holes in programs.

Imagine I am a cracker, I surf this list because I know I
can hear tips, pick up on security issues.

I now know:
 - You have renamed root (that will really have the crackers shitting
   their pants)
 - You use Postfix
 - You told me all this in your mail...

> /etc/aliases          I had already redirected root to my regular user:
>                       no problem
> /etc/crontab          Replaced 'root' with 'admin'
> /etc/ftpusers         Not critical, but added 'admin'
> /etc/gettytab         User for autologin
> /etc/inetd            Don't use it
> /etc/login.access     Small change
> /etc/login.conf       Has a special entry for root
> /etc/rc               Changed 'chown root:wheel' in 'chown > 0:0'
> /etc/security         Don't use it
> /etc/syslog           Small change
> /usr/local/etc/postfix/postfix-script
>                       Some minor changes
> /usr/local/etc/webmin/...
>                       Starts some daemons as root

I know your email address.
If you have a domain I can find it and your IP.
I know who your ISP is and what O/S they use.
I can find out what DNS you use, and your Mail Exchanger.
I could make some guesses at your login name.
actually, and probably guess you are in group "wheel".

I know what MUA you use.
I know your run FreeBSD, and could probably find the version
in a few seconds.

I could go on...changing root's name will achieve *nothing* of
any value. Sooner or later it will confuse you.

Just reduce root access to the minimum, and disallow external
access to it.

And learn something about security.

--
Regards