Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:54:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        simon@olofsson.de, glewis@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   tweak FreeBSD 8 for optimal java/weka performance

Dear freebsd people,
=A0
in a few days I will install freebsd 8.0 amd64 on my 8GB RAM dual core mach=
ine and use the system as a application server. I will install the /usr/por=
ts/textproc/weka toolkit, a program written in java. I will use the diablo =
jdk port in /usr/ports/java.
=A0
Due to the nature of the research I will be doing I will need to max out my=
 machine for optimal java performance. For example, I will use the=A0-Xmx7g=
 flag frequently to set=A0the maximun java heap size=A0to 7GB.
=A0
Are there any other tweaks I should think of to get as much RAM for my java=
 programs?
Like building custom and small kernel, in order to minimize te size of the =
kernel?
=A0
Let me know,
thanks in advanced,