Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 1995 16:20:49 -0500
From:      jha@cs.purdue.edu ("John H. Aughey")
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Any SMP work being done?

In message <9503061754.AA18587@cs.weber.edu>, you wrote:
> > provides bays for two chips.  It provides up to 256K of zero-wait-state
> > L2 cache for each engine and will run in single processor mode for non
> > SMP OS's. (p 66)
> Were the bays for 486, 386, or Pentium?

The bays were for 486 chips at multiples of the current clock
frequency.  Your existing chip could be used as one of the processors.
I would assume you probably could not mix different speed chips, but
don't quote me on that.

> Did it claim to follow the Intel MP spec?

Didn't say.  I was going to call the company to see if I could get any
info just for curiosity.  It would be nice, wouldn't it?

> What did it cost, including processors (or processor, if a 486)?

The quoted price was $499.  Keep in mind that this was in the "New &
Improved" section of PC Mag.  The CPUs were not included, but as I said
earlier, you can your your existing chip as one of them.

> 800 number?

Didn't have one.  There is a regular number: 503-757-0934.  I'm not
premoting this product, it just caught my eye and sparked my interest
in SMP for FreeBSD.

---
John H. Aughey (Instructional Lab Administrator)
jha@cs.purdue.edu