Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 06:19:02 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        m p <sumirati@yahoo.de>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com> writes:
> m p writes:
> > Do you know _why_ most of the FreeBSD people
> > use customized kernels?
>
> Because much of what they want to do apparently cannot be enabled by simple
> configuration switches at run-time (such as the change I desired above).

Nope, not exactly.  Because we like trimming our kernels to the
absolutely necessary parts.  For instance, if I count just the lines
of GENERIC and LOCAL (the second being the configuration file I use
for my own custom kernel), I see:

	$ wc -l GENERIC
	     236 GENERIC
	$ wc -l CHARON
	     119 CHARON

Half of the devices supported by GENERIC are useless to me.
So I rebuild my kernel to remove this code from my system's kernel.

> > This is considered a normal and not risky task
> > with FreeBSD.
>
> If it is just changing a configuration option, the risk probably
> isn't too great.  But sometimes you don't really know until the
> system crashes.  And, sorry, but FreeBSD is not magically immune to
> this; no operating system is.

No, but have you got any numbers to back this up?  Hundreds of FreeBSD
users have recompiled their kernels thousands of times.  I somewhat
find it hard to believe that they like crashing their systems.