Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:53:09 +0530
From:      "Jayachandran C." <c.jayachandran@gmail.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merging 64 bit changes to -HEAD - part 2

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM, M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> In message: <98F8CB29-62FE-41A6-8AE6-6F8AF086D29C@lakerest.net>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Randall Stewart <rrs@lakerest.net> writes:
> : JC:
> :
> : I don't think renaming the PTE entries to PG_ is a good idea.
> :
> : Way back in 2007 this was one of the issues I hit.. the J code
> : used PG_ and somewhere in the VM we used PG_ to indicate (Page).
> :
> : Thus we ended up with a PG_G defined in two places and we were setting
> : PG_G and it was Not the PTE PG_G.. but the one defined in the VM.
>
> This was a big frustration at the time... =A0I'd somehow blocked it from
> my memory when Juli and I talked about this a while ago...
>
> : The folks in the VM world suggested we change this to PTE_xxx which I
> : did.
>
> Alan Cox, if memory serves.

I had tested the changes (buildworld on 32 cpus) , so there is a
chance that the problem no longer exists.

There is one minor cleanup in the patch that can be done (ie unify the
mips_pg and pmap_pte macros). But the renaming itself does not seem to
buy us anything.

I will wait for Juli's comments too, as she is the original author of
the patch...

JC.

--=20
C. Jayachandran    c.jayachandran@gmail.com