Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 07:57:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brion Moss <brion@queeg.com>
To:        James Raynard <fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Christopher Allen <gmfangs@asmrb.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:Problem based on Handbook answer

James Raynard writes:
> > >Or, you could write a script that looks like this:
> > >
> > >	#!/bin/sh
> > >	# Fetch the new ports into /tmp
> > >	cd /tmp
> > >	fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports.tar.gz
> >
> > My understanding was that if I did this it would also grab all the contents
> > of the ports/distfiles/ directory as well
>
> Correct.  It may well fill up your root partition as well :-)

No, you won't grab the contents of ports/distfiles, because the
distfiles directory is not under that directory:

wcarchive.cdrom.com:/.25/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports
ncftp>ls
.cvsignore      cad/            german/         net/            templates/
INDEX           chinese/        graphics/       news/           textproc/
LEGAL           comms/          japanese/       pkg/            vietnamese/
Makefile        converters/     korean/         plan9/          www/
README          databases/      lang/           print/          x11/
archivers/      devel/          mail/           russian/
astro/          editors/        math/           security/
audio/          emulators/      mbone/          shells/
benchmarks/     games/          misc/           sysutils/

The only place on ftp.freebsd.org where I see a distfiles directory is
directly under /pub/FreeBSD.  You're perfectly safe grabbing the
entire ports tree from /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current.

	-Brion