Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:15:11 -0800
From:      Phil Webb <philwebb@piperain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   deleting ports/packages

OK, this is rather getting me down.

I seem to be caught in "The Loop Of Death".

Upon attempting to install Netscape 6.2 from ports apparently something
broke.  It seems to install correctly, but when I type netscape, system
returns "you dont seem to have netscape installed".  OK, how about
"Netscape"? Nope.  Netscape not found. Hmmmm...  pkg-info shows
linux-netscape-6.2_1 Linux Netscape Suite.

Well then my next thought was to remove nestscape.  Now I get three errors,
Couldn't open dependency file /var/db/pkg/imake-4.1.0/+REQUIRED_BY
and /var/db/pkg/freetype2-2.0.4/+REQUIRED_BY and
/var/db/pkg/XFree86-libraries-4.1.0/+REQUIRED_BY

All right then, if you're gonna be that way about it, I'll re-install, maybe
that will add what it wants to delete and then I can clean it all up and try
over.  Install seems to go ok, but then it still won't start and I still
can't remove.

What am I doing wrong here?  I can't run it because the system thinks its not
installed (even after a FORCE_REGISTER) and I can't remove it either.  Grrrrr.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

--
Phil Webb