Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:35:20 +0400
From:      Vladik Kozin <epbox@yandex.ru>
To:        "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA ethernet NE2000 compatible card problem

On Monday 28 April 2003 17:07, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > I'm facing the following problem with my ethernet pccard. I installed
> > FBSD 4.8 on my ThinkPad 570 via ftp using the above mentioned etherne=
> > card (using ed(4) driver). No problems occured. So now I have a 4.8 b=
ox
> > installed. But after I reboot and started my new FBSD box the same
> > ethernet device didn't
> >
> > seem to work anymore:
> > >ed1: device timeout
>
> [snip]
>
> > But it worked fine while the installation process! I've no idea what
> > could have happened. Maybe this is a sort of IRQ problem, but AFAIK t=
he
> > newly installed box should use the same kernel as've been used while
> > istalling the system. I don't know where to look for IRQs bindings my
> > FBSD box uses right now. Unfortunately, I forgot to install kernel sr=
cs,
> > so now I can't even recompile the kernel.
> >
> > Here is a more precise information:
> > >dmesg
> >
> > config> en ed0
> > config> po ed0 0x280
> > config> ir ed0 10
> > config> iom ed0 0xd8000
> > config> f ed0 0
>
> Notice that IRQ 10 and port 0x280 are used here.

> > pccard: card inserted, slot 0
> > pccard: card removed, slot 0
> > pccard: card inserted, slot 0
> > ed1: at port ........ irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
>
> Notice that IRQ 11 is used here (you blanked out the port).
>
> > ed1: device timeout
> > ed1: device timeout
> >
> > I wonder what those commands in /boot/kernel.conf mean (config> strin=
gs
> > in dmesg)?
>
> This means that when you installed FreeBSD, you configured the network
> interface to use IRQ 10 and port 0x280. Since the ftp-installation work=
ed,
> these values must be correct.
>
> Now that the system is installed, however, it is using ed1 (not ed0) as=
 the
> network interface for whatever reason. I assume that there is no other
> network card in your laptop which would be ed0. However, the kernel tri=
es
> to assign IRQ 11 to your NIC, which doesn't seem to be correct.
>
> I think that if you edit /boot/kernel.conf and replace ed0 with ed1
> you'll get your NIC working.

Yes. The problem was in IRQs mismatch. I was so impatient, that I simply=20
reinstalled the hole system paying special attention to IRQs. Finaly I bo=
und=20
IRQ5 to my pcmcia card. Unfortunately now I can't check out if replacing =
ed0=20
with ed1 in /boot/kernel.conf would have done the thing. Anyway I have a=20
working FBSD box set up on my laptop and it works fine :)