Date:      Mon, 3 May 2010 11:34:11 HST
From:      osp@aloha.com
To:        Peter Winn <peterwinn@btinternet.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help

> Hi, I am having problems connecting to my ISP. I am running a freebsd 7.2
box using a
thompson speedtouch usb modem to connect to an adsl telephone line. However
when I try to
make a PPP connection using pppoa the driver says it cannot find the modem.
The dmesg from
the kernel says the modem is 'cdce0' and 'usb0 is on uhub0'. But 'cdce0' is
not in /dev
and when I try to ./MAKEDEV cdce0 I get command not found. Can anyone help me?

I expect an ADSL line to go to a "modem" that presents as Ethernet. Connect
to that with a CAT-5 cable connected to your computer's Ethernet port and
add configuration settings to your /etc/rc.conf.

If your "thompson speedtouch usb modem" is in fact an ADSL modem then the
USB end out to present as a network interface. Again, ppp would not be used.

If you are using old fashionded dial-up over the analog part of the ADSL
circuit then ppp would be used. But why do that?

Good luck!

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project