Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2020 17:51:09 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting around goofy package dependencies

I am having a feeling of deja vu because I'm sure I have been here
before.

I need to use a package named p5-Net-IDN-Encode on one of my FreeBSD 12.0
systems.  I tried to just install it with pkg add but that didn't work
becaise I had an older version of perl5 installed and p5-Net-IDN-Encode
wanted a newer one.

So I installed the latest per5, i.e. "perl5-5.30.0".  I figured that
should make me golden.

Apparently I'm not that lucky, and p5-Net-IDN-Encode appars to want one
very specific version of perl5, i.e. perl5-5.28.2, even though I have
an even newer one.  as a result, now when I try to install the
p5-Net-IDN-Encode [ackage, using "pkg install" I get the following
helpful notice:

Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 2 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        p5-Net-IDN-Encode: 2.500
        perl5.28: 5.28.2

Number of packages to be installed: 2

I have tried to get around this by invoking "pkg install" with the -f
option, and separately also with the -M option, but neither one made
even the slightest bit of diofference.

So, two questions:

1)  Why do neither the -f nor -M options for "pkg install" do what the
    corresponding man page seems to say they will do?

2)  Why is the package for p5-Net-IDN-Encode configured in a way that
    causes it to need *only* and *exactly* perl5-5.28.2, and why doesn't
    the configuration of the and p5-Net-IDN-Encode packahe allow me to
    install it when  have an even newer version fo perl5 installed?