Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:30:47 -0000
From:      Mike Dewhirst <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Intel of AMD?

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CC36.61642D60

> I would better prefer Linux for this task, cause if You'll be
> in trouble
> there is no possibility to get any help from the Oracle support team.

Depends on prblem, ofcourse. But you would get tons (or at least adequate
amount) of support of this list. Which, in all fairness (disclaimer to
follow) is probably better than what you'd get from Oracle.. I suspect.

> I was wondering to run Oracle on FreeBSD but until it is not
> the Oracle
> supported platform I should deploy three Linux boxes in my
> FreeBSD server
> farm :(

Where's your spirit of adventure?! :) The more people dive in at the deep
end, the more demand on ORacle there would be for supporting FreeBSD.

> They say Oracle runs more quickly on FreeBSD is it true or not ?

Not sure... Have no experience. When you say quicker, what exactly are you
referring to? This can be a slippery subject - too many factors need to be
looked at.

Mike

This message was written in plain text mode.
Everything below the dotted line was not
written by the author of this email.
----------------------

=**********************************************************

If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, please return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply facility on e-mail.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.

MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not guarantee that this email is virus free.

**********************************************************=

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CC36.61642D60

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: Intel of AMD?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I would better prefer Linux for this task, cause if =
You'll be </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; in trouble</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; there is no possibility to get any help from the Or=
acle support team.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Depends on prblem, ofcourse. But you would get tons (or a=
t least adequate amount) of support of this list. Which, in all fairness (d=
isclaimer to follow) is probably better than what you'd get from Oracle.. I=
 suspect.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I was wondering to run Oracle on FreeBSD but until i=
t is not </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; the Oracle </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; supported platform I should deploy three Linux boxe=
s in my </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; FreeBSD server</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; farm :(</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Where's your spirit of adventure?! :) The more people div=
e in at the deep end, the more demand on ORacle there would be for supporti=
ng FreeBSD.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; They say Oracle runs more quickly on FreeBSD is it =
true or not ?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Not sure... Have no experience. When you say quicker, wha=
t exactly are you referring to? This can be a slippery subject - too many f=
actors need to be looked at.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mike</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This message was written in plain text mode. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Everything below the dotted line was not </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>written by the author of this email. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>---------------------- </FONT>
</P>

<CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
=3D**********************************************************<BR>
<BR>
If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for de=
livering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified tha=
t any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is=
 strictly prohibited.<BR>
<BR>
If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, pleas=
e return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply=
 facility on e-mail.<BR>
<BR>
Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does n=
ot accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views=
 or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessaril=
y represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.<=

<BR>
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by<BR>
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not gua=
rantee that this email is virus free.<BR>
<BR>