Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:44:15 +0930
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        Zach Hartley <zhartley@linus.highpoint.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feature-rich GUI mail client

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 12:03:46AM -0400, Zach Hartley wrote:

> > I haven't used X-windows much at all, so am fairly unfamiliar with the
> > software available. Are there any such programs that have Outlook-like
> > features such as e-mail address auto-complete? Kmail doesn't cut it, and
> > being non computer techie people, they aren't interested in using any
> > console programs at all.
>
> Kmail doesn't cut it? I'm honestly interested in what it doesn't have,
> other than auto-complete. In all my gui mail client wranglings, kmail seems
> to be the best you'll ever do, though some people talk about evolution
> being good, I myself could never get it to compile correctly. Good luck.

I use Evolution (except at the moment, where I'm using Mutt as my laptop
is in pieces :-) and it handles my 700-odd messages a day quite nicely.

evolution-0.13 (/usr/ports/mail/evolution) compiled in a few hours (once
the GNOME dependencies were dealt with) on a Duron 850. It works quite
nicely, with the exception of a funny oafd problem.

If you want to use Evolution, you may be better off considering running
it on a Ximian-supported OS. It does make it easier to live with. At
least it's not Windows.

   - andrew

--
void signature () {