Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 11:44:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Dean E.Weimer" <dweimer@Happydays.DynDNS.Org>
To:        Questions@freeBSD.org
Cc:        drew@planetwe.com
Subject:   RE: ppp.linkup, am I misunderstanding this?

This is in response to an old message
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2251088+2252705+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000903.freebsd-questions)
But still unanswered till now.

Old Question

I'm running freebsd 4.0 RELEASE on a box running PPPoE for a DSL line. I
have a script to update my dynamic DNS thats called from ppp.linkup, which
works fine when the box boots, or if something "hangs" and I have to
restart PPP. However, since I use the -ddial, sometimes  the link drops
and comes back up without me having to touch it (like it should). However,
the problem is, when that happens, the script isn't run out of
ppp.linkup. Is there a way around this? TIA. -- Drew Sanford Systems
Administrator

Answer,

  I fought with this problem before, and found out why, the ddial
mode suspends the ppp connection when the script executes.  Well, that
doesn't work to well to send data at this point.  Here is how I fixed it.
  First I tested with other modes, it worked under ppp -auto, or if
I ran ppp manually. Edit your ppp.linkup file to contain.

YOURPROFILE:
set mode interactive
!bg /etc/ppp/isp.up
set mode ddial

  Change YOURPROFILE to what your profile is, or the default if you
are only using one connection.
 Then Create an isp.up file in your /etc/ppp directory, and make the file
executable, put anything you want to run after reconnecting in there. In
mine I am updating three hosts on dyndns.org using ddup 3.0.1. This
script file will execute in the background while ppp stays in interactive
mode, and then will switch back into ddial mode when it finishes.

#!/bin/sh
#
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
# Update Happydays
ddup --host Happydays.DynDNS.Org
# Update Weimer
ddup --host weimer.homeip.net
# Update Delta-Chi
ddup --host delta-chi.dnsalias.org

  I am not on the mailing list, so please copy any further questions
to dweimer@swbell.net