Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:35:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12 (simplified)

:I had the hunch that the problem I am dealing with related to the unlink
:portion of NFS... So I have simplified the code down to this tiny snipet which
:will reliably crash the system (I left it running by accident and it brought
:my test machine down 3 times before I remembered to kill it :).  This is only
:3 lines of code, and a for loop to iterate it.
:
:int main(int argc, char **argv)
:{
:        int fd;
:        int counter;
:        char newfilename[1024];
:
:        strcpy(newfilename,argv[1]);
:        strcat(newfilename,".old");
:        for(counter=0;counter<1000000;counter++) {
:                fd=open(argv[1], O_CREAT, 600);
:                close(fd);
:                unlink(argv[1]);
:        }
:        return 0;
:}
:
:Again, this appears to need to be run from multiple machines at once to cause
:the problem (running from 2 dual-ultra 2s running solaris 2.6 in this case).
:I will attempt to reproduce it with FreeBSD clients later today.  In the
:meantime I am getting down and dirty with the NFS kernel routines.
:...
:--
:David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu

    I think you said it was the server that crashed?  Are you sure?  I know
    for a fact that it is possible to crash a FreeBSD client when the server
    ( or another client ) renames-over or unlinks files rapidly that are
    also being accessed by the client.  If it is the server crashing rather
    then the client we have a new bug.  It should still hopefully be
    relatively easy to locate.   Potential races in the server are much
    more confined ( in regards to areas of the code that might race ) then on
    the client.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>