Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:07:35 -0400
From:      Winston Smith <smith.winston.101@gmail.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ARM <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone/eMMC boot oddity

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Trying to take advantage of eMMC booting and running into a snag.
>
> I want to have a large SD card inserted for "extra storage"
> on a BeagleBone that boots and runs the system per se
> from eMMC.  (Idea is to use the BeagleBone as a web server
> where the actual content is stored on the separate SD
> card for easy updating.)

I have booting 11-CURRENT with u-boot 2013.4 working.  I built
crotchet using Patrick's script to create an SD image which I put on a
4GB SD card, resized the freebsd (s2) partition with gpart and grew it
to 3.7GB using growfs, I re-ran Patrick's script with
BEAGLEBONE_BOOT_EMMC=y and copied the new image to the freebsd
partition.  Once I had booted on the BBB, I used dd to write the emmc
version to the eMMC device, reboot and it works.  I see the following
from the FreeBSD loader:

FreeBSD/armv6 U-Boot loader, Revision 1.2
(root@freebsd, Fri Apr 18 19:01:14 EDT 2014)

DRAM: 512MB
MMC Device 2 not found
MMC Device 3 not found
MMC Device 2 not found
Number of U-Boot devices: 3
U-Boot env: loaderdev not set, will probe all devices.
Found U-Boot device: disk
  Probing all disk devices...
  Checking unit=0 slice=<auto> partition=<auto>...MMC Device 2 not found
MMC Device 3 not found
disk0: device open failed with error=2, handle=1

  Checking unit=1 slice=<auto> partition=<auto>... good.
/boot/kernel/kernel data=0x470708+0x2c78f8 syms=[0x4+0x85fe0+0x4+0x50d82]
/boot/kernel/geom_label.ko text=0x50cc data=0x864+0x30
syms=[0x4+0x1020+0x4+0xfe2]

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Using DTB provided by U-Boot at address 0x0x80000100.
Kernel entry at 0x80200100...

Hope this helps somehow.

-W