Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:18:16 -0500
From:      Jim Trigg <jtrigg@spamcop.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for mail server tool recommendations

I am currently using Postfix/SASL/Courier-IMAP, and am looking for a set
of tools that will do what I want.

Requirements:
- Authenticated SMTP where no password is sent in cleartext (preferably
allowing but not requiring TLS)
- Authenticated IMAP and POP where no password is sent in cleartext
(again preferably allowing but not requiring TLS)
- Single user database (not /etc/passwd for login and sasldb for email)
- Virtual domain support, preferably such that user@example.com can be
separate from user@example.net.
- The ability to insert arbitrary headers into outgoing email (I want
to insert the Habeas headers)
- Maildir support from MTA, IMAP server, and POP server

Any suggestions?  I *think* I can get the first through third through a
combination of SASL and LDAP, if the MTA I choose supports one or the
other, including the distinction between user@example.com and
user@example.net; the fourth is not supported by Postfix, so I need to
find a different MTA.  I don't want to deal with learning the Sendmail
arcana, and things I've heard about QMail have put me off of it.  Can
this be done with Exim, and where would I look for how to configure
things?  Or is there another MTA that I'm failing to consider?

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
                                                  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN