Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:50:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      mi@video-collage.com
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12739: New port: AT&T's DjVu Netscape plug-in

On 28 Mar, Ade Lovett wrote:

= I believe I already mentioned that the site was moved to www.djvu.com

Oops, yes. You are right!

= > = I'd strongly recommend installing devel/portlint and using it to clean
= > = things up before submission.
= >
= > I used it:
=
= Looks like you missed some flags.. as a rule, I tend to use:
=
= 	portlint -abcNv
=
= which gives a better idea of any issues.

Indeed...  Live  and learn...  Well,  the  MOZILLA_HOME  may be  set  to
anything, so, I guess, there is no  way out of it, other then hardcoding
the ${LOCALBASE}/lib/netscape instead... May be,  I should -- if someone
is  savvy enough  to  use different  netscapes,  he/she can  hand-taylor
things anyway...

= > I put  the "TAR?=tar" and  "LN?=ln" in  there on purpose,  because I
= > tested this port  on an old 2.2.8 machine with  old bsd.port.mk. The
= > two other warnings  are bogus too -- one is  there because of quotes
= > around ${MOZILLA_HOME} (what if it has  spaces in it?) and the other
= > is because RUN_DEPENDS lists ${MOZILLA_HOME}.
=
= My (possibly incorrect) understanding is that support for both 2.x and
= aout 3.x has ceased.

If it takes so little, why not leave it there?

= > I'm sure  I'm not. With  the NO_CDROM/NO_PACKAGE  we are not  even a
= > party  of  the  license  agreement...  This  way  the  port  is  not
= > interactive, which is good, is not it?...
=
= My  understanding of  the license  agreement is  that it  needs to  be
= presented to, and accepted by, the end user, before proceeding.

Yes, but we don't have to go out of our way to enforce that -- again, we
are not  a party  the agreement  -- it is  between user  and AT&T.  As a
courtesy  to the  latter,  we  tell the  user  about  it, but,  strictly
speaking, I don't think we are required to do that.

= Usual disclaimers  about not being a  lawyer apply, but the  fact that
= you have a  bunch of comments in there suggest  that you thought about
= this  enough to  put them  in. If  it's not  a problem,  why have  the
= comments  at all,  since most  people  won't be  reading the  Makefile
= anyway.

You don't have to read the Makefile,  that's the beauty of this method I
discovered for myself  :) Since the lines are  tab-indented, make treats
them  as shell  commands and  expands  all the  variables. Shell  echoes
them, but,  since they  are comments, does  nothing else,  thus avoiding
invocations of /bin/echo... And the Makefile remains prettier -- without
those ugly @${ECHO} prefixes.

If you  think, I  should hardcode  the MOZILLA_HOME in  there --  let me
know,  and  I'll  upload  a  new version.  Otherwise,  please,  fix  the
MASTER_SITE and  consider committing the  thing. It's been in  the queue
for too long :(

Yours,

	-mi