Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:46:31 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Well-supported gigabit cards under 4-stable?

Howdy,

I found a few threads on this topic in google, but they were from a
while ago (-stable and hardware are both moving targets, after all).

I'm interesting in seeing what low-cost gigabit cards are supported
under -stable and which cards might be recommended. I'm looking
specifically at the Linksys EG1032, D-Link DGE-530T, Intel Pro1000MT,
and the Micronet SP2612R. All are relatively cheap (Can$64 and lower),
are easily obtained in Canada via the popular online merchants, and
would be within reach a typical (though geeky) home network.

Most of my computers will remain 100Mbit, but I'd like to move my main
file server to 1000Mbit. All the other machines do full dumps to it
every night (which eventually end up on tape), so it spends a fairly
large portion of every day with it's interface completely saturated
(and it's worse on weekly dump days).

I'm primarily concerned with driver stability. For example, I noticed
some messages in the archives about the nge driver causing problems ...
that was some time ago, but I'd like to avoid that on a server which
handles my backups ;-) I'm also interested in nice vlan and jumbo frame
support, though I can get by without them.

So what's recommended by folks running gigabit gear these days?

-T

--
Page xxviii: Live with Unix long enough and you will change. You will
become more creative, and you will come to understand the spirit of