Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:30:57 -0500
From:      Naram Qashat <cyberbotx@cyberbotx.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Using another port Makefile's values without being a slave port?

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a major update to the print/fontforge port. Fontforge is
set up in such a way that it has no option to disable usage of freetype, but it
does have an option of using freetype's source code to build freetype's internal
debugger into fontforge. Because of this, fontforge needs freetype's distfile
when that option is enabled.

Currently, to do the above, the version, distfile, and master sites of freetype
have been copied into fontforge's Makefile. However, I am wondering if it is
possible to utilize the distfile and master sites from the print/freetype2 port
directly instead of hardcoding them into fontforge's port.

If this is feasible, I know that one way to accomplish this would be using shell
commands (to basically do 'make -VDISTFILES' and 'make -VMASTER_SITES' on the
freetype port), but I'm wondering if those values can be utilized without using
shell commands.

Because fontforge is only a consumer of freetype and not related to it, it
wouldn't be appropriate to have fontforge being a slave port of freetype.

If it is better to keep things as they are instead, I'd like to know. I'm just
looking for a way to make it easier to handle freetype being updated in the
future without having to worry about it in fontforge. The only reason I can
think of against changing how it is done is because of freetype's tarball being
listed in fontforge's distfiles, and that would need updating every time there
is a freetype update anyways.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat