Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:26:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Alexander Bezroutchko <abb@zenon.net>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IFT3102 and FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE troubles

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Alexander Bezroutchko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have following configuration:
>     * two IFT-3102U2G controllers are configured in redundant mode
>     (caches get syncronized via channel 0), firmware revision 2.23
>     * channel 1 is disk channel, it serves three Ultra2 drives
>     * channels 2,3 are host channels
>
>     * two hosts (2 x PIII Xeon-550, RAM 512M, C440GX+, no disk),
>     FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE
>     * host1's ultra2 port is connected to channel2
>     * host2's ultra2 port is connected to channel3
>
> When I pull away primary controller, processes which use disk
> hangs. After ~4 sec secondary controller become primary.
> Sometimes hung processes get running immediatery. But sometimes
> unhangs only after 60 sec.
>
> Also after controller reset (it takes 1-2 minute) some
> directories became empty, another ones unreadable -- read
> operation returns 'Device not configured'. The questions are:
>
> 1. Is it FreeBSD's or IFT's bug ?
>
> 2. Does anybody know solution/workaround ?
>
> 3. 'Disconnection' enabled on RAIDcontroller and on-board scsi
> controller on hosts, is it correct ?
>
> 4. Does anybody have expirience maintaining servers without
> local disk (external only) ? Are there any troubles ?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> SY, Alexander Bezroutchko

  Well, I'm testing a single IFT-3102U2G on a dual-PIII under 3.4 stable.
I'm assuming that the take-over by the redundant controller is similar
in appearance to the host, as resetting a controller.

  I've done a few resets of the IFT controller until full load (three
instances of postmark).  FreeBSD paused, then printed a bunch of errors
and then continued.  I have had a incident where FreeBSD just hung after
resetting the controller.  I couldn't reproduce it though.

Tom