Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 09:46:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu>, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New ports

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Doug White wrote:

> The ports tree changes too fast on a daily basis to flag the changes in
> the www heirarchy (although our esteemed webmasters may have a different
> opinion).

It is not the speed of the changes, but implementing a reasonably
efficient and accurate way to detect them.  It would be essential
to distinguish between "new" and "updated"  ports.  The curret
ports web pages are built from the INDEX file in -current which
is updated on an irregular basis and comparing different versions
of the INDEX file will catch new ports, but miss most updates.

I think the most efficient solution at this point may be a perl
script that actually walks directly through the ports branch of
the CVS repository to collect the necessary information.  There
is probably some code in cvsweb.cgi that could be lifted for the
purpose.

I also have half a mind to index all the DESCR files for keyword
searching. :)

-john