Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:54:57 +0530
From:      Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
To:        "Aaron P. Martinez" <ml@proficuous.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld.........24 hours????

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:30:28 -0500, Aaron P. Martinez <ml@proficuous.com> wrote:
> I have an amd k6II 500 machine with 32 megs of ram, 20 gig 7200 rpm hard
> drive which i just installed fresh with FBSD 5.3RC1 on the whole disk,
> no boot loader.

Thats not too much RAM, although the processor would not complain.
What is the amount of SWAP space you created?

> PS...i see a lot of this as it's building....
>
> /usr/src/gnu/lib/libstdc++/../../../contrib/libstdc++/src/valarray-inst.cc:1: warning: -ffunction-sections disabled; it makes profiling impossible

Thats all right. You need not worry about it. I would recommend you to
refer to /etc/defaults/make.conf and disable all thoes sections of the
base tree (for example bind, sendmail and a few other in my case)
which you dont intend to use. Also turn of Profiled libraries as they
are not required by a non developer. Also make sure you use the
correct CFLAGS and the processor type. But don't tighten the screw too
much ;-)

Regards

Subhro Sankha Kar
School of Information Technology