Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2008 02:49:18 +0000
From:      Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken@mthelicon.com>
To:        "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd@gmail.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: who on FreeBSD 8.0 - AMD64

On Monday 24 November 2008 02:42:08 you wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken@mthelicon.com>
wrote:

> > <SNIP>
> >
> >>       `who' works perfectly fine for me on CURRENT/AMD64 synced up 3
> >> days ago, via an ssh terminal. Can you provide more details, e.g. when
> >> was your last sync date, did you blow away your utmp directory, etc?
> >> Thanks,
> >> -Garrett
> >
> > Hi Garrett,
> >        Its actually the other way around. If I SSH into the machine, I
> > see my login in the 'who', however, if I telnet in or use a xterm I
> > dont..
> >
> >        The last sync/build world/build kernel I have done was about 24
> > hours ago, however, I think the problem has been going on for a while
> > now. I noticed it about a month ago and forgot about it until the other
> > day when I tried using 'who' again.
> >
> >        I havent blown away the utmp directory (or touched it, for that
> > matter). I can try clearing if, if you think it may help?
> >
> > Ta
> > Peg
>
>     Actually, no please don't blow it. After hearing that it occurs
> only over ssh I tried with a local login and it functions exactly the
> same as with the ssh terminal.
>     1. What's the exit code after you try and execute who?
>     2. `ls -l /var/run/utmp'? Should be set to mode 00644.
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

Hi Garrett,
	I'm not sure of the exit code, but it dosent display any errors, just returns
nothing.  The /var/run/utmp is set to 00644 as well..

	Can you try telneting into your box (even as a localhost) and see if if it
still functions correctly? Using a telnet login or a xterm window is the only
time I see it fail.

Ta
Peg