Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 23:02:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        adam@choice.net (Mark Knipfer)
Cc:        dg@root.com, irq@stepahead.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v2.1.7

> The memory is fine, its been tested and never have memory problems with other
> OSes.  The EDO memory is at 60ns where it should be.  The EIDE is detecting
> that I am using an Mode 4 hard drive, the controller is on the hard drive
> making the system read it as a mode 4 hard drive.
>
> I know there are others using FreeBSD on system similiar to mine, and not sure
> why I am having the problems.  You can rule out memory, unless FreeBSD is not
> compatible with EDO memory.

I am using/developing/typing right now using FreeBSD on a P6DNF PPro
running at 233MHz, 80MB memory set to 50nsecs, mixed EDO and FPRAM, IDE set
to mode 5 (22MHz, nonstandard), with 4 WD drives (1.6, 2.1, 3.1, 4.0) with
two NCR scsi adaptors (2.1GB SCSI, EZ Flyer 230MB, Plextor 12X CDROM,
Toshiba 2X CDROM), Soundblaster-16...

No crashes unless I make a stupid mistake on a kernel change.  I run very
evil system tests regularly.  The major problems that I can imagine
on my system are some VFS races (hard to fix, don't happen often, but existant),
the sound card requires very careful setup, MSDOS FS has problems with
FIPS re-partitioning in certain cases (except in releases before 2.2, where
MSDOS FS shouldn't be used unless FS size is 511M or less), running out
of swap space is problematical.  In no case is the system generally
"unstable" though.

BTW, my machine has run Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, SCO Open Server, MACH/Lites,
WinNT, Win95 just fine :-).  I have NOT successfully installed UNIXWARE or
Solaris 2.5.1 on my machine (and have tried.)  My machine has also recently
had an P5-166 Triton TP4N Asus MB, with no problems that an end user would
normally incur.

I am not saying that FreeBSD is problem free, but if it doesn't install
on a fairly standard 486, P5 or P6 machine, there is likely at least
a subtile hardware or config problem on the system.  386 machines are less
likely to work well only because there is significantly less testing on
that architecture now, and there is also more difference in VM
code for that processor than the others.

John