Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:01:26 -0500
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=11441599

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Mark Kane wrote:
>
>> I do have a tall Antec case, and have both 200's and the 160 in 5 1/4
>> inch trays so the cables for those are long (36 inches IIRC).
>

> Hmm - 36 inch cable, makes me wonder if that is what is causing the
> problem in UDMA133 mode. IIRC the ATA spec says 18 inches, but most
> cables seem to be ok at 24 inches. 36 inches may just be tipping things
> over the edge...

Oh sorry I should have mentioned that my testing was done with standard
length cables and there was still all the problems. I just got the 36
inch for the final placement of the drives, and there seems to be no
change when I switch the cables.

I'm glad that it looks like running it at 100 will solve this. Thanks
for the replies. I was probably going to go through all the hassle of
getting an Asus board to replace this because I was almost certain it
was hardware, but I don't think it's worth it as long as this works :)

-Mark