Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:48:19 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

"John S. Dyson" wrote:

> > On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Brian Somers wrote:
> >
> > > The system was becoming unstable due to Matts changes.  Whether the
> > > instabilities were in Matts code or somewhere else is irrelevent.
> > > The reaction was (IMHO) the right thing to do.
> >
> > I think where the problem lied is very relevent.
> >
> > If the problems are not his fault are you saying he should have backed
> > out his changes because they exposed old faulty code? What kind of
> > progress is that?
> >
> The key is that if problems are going to be uncovered, then
> understanding the rest of the code well enough to fix it
> is important.  There were not only cases of new or uncovered
> bugs, but regression and mistaken removal of features that
> weren't understood.  All of the stuff requires some kind of
> learning curve, and just jumping in and "coding" isn't really
> a wise thing to do or allow.
>
> IMO, revokation of commit privs has given enough time to support
> the learning curve and enforce a review process.

I've been following this conversation with growing concern.  It seems
to me there is a fairly simple solution to this problem: create a
branch for the ongoing VM work, enable commit privs on the branch for
Matt and anyone else who's going to join in the fun, and then at times
when they think it is appropriate and things have been adequately
reviewed, we have a little merge-mania and things are better than ever.

Are there any technological boundaries that prevent us from doing this?
This is how we do it in the paid-for-code world.  ;^)