Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:38:34 -0500
From:      John DeStefano <john.destefano@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.maxpipekva exceeded, please see tuning(7)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:17:33 -0500, John DeStefano
<john.destefano@gmail.com> wrote:
> > From: Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
> > To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> > Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:00:48 +0000
> > Subject: Re: kern.maxpipekva exceeded, please see tuning(7)
> > On 03/13/05 15:44:32, John DeStefano wrote:
> > > I have seen a mention or two of this error on the lists before,
> > > including this link to the "current" list I pulled up from Google:
> > > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/019150.html
> > >
> > > In my case, the errors began after my exploratory two-year-old found
> > > the shiny 'reset' button and could not resist its powers.  I'm also
> > > getting HDD error messages on boot, 'fsck -y' shows all the file
> > > systems as read-only and returns errors on one of them, and I can no
> > > longer SSH into my system (due to, I assume, too many open file
> > > handles), or even get a command in on my console without an error
> > > popping in..
> > >
> > > The solution does not seem clear cut to me, and it seems the error
> > > message itself does not provide valid (or, at least, sufficient)
> > > information.
> > >
> > > Could someone please help, or point me in the right direction?
> > >
> > > Thanks, as always,
> > > John
> >
> > FreeBSD is very robust with power failures, but that was a reset
> > button.  Do you have acpi on?  When I hit my power button every once in
> > a while my system shuts down properly.  Try booting into single user
> > mode and do a manual mount and fsck.
> >
> > And just to help you out:
> >
> > $ sysctl -ad | grep pipekva
> > kern.ipc.maxpipekva: Pipe KVA limit
> > kern.ipc.pipekva: Pipe KVA usage
> > $ sysctl -a | grep pipekva
> > kern.ipc.maxpipekva: 8634368
> > kern.ipc.pipekva: 344064
> >
> Thanks to Jason's instructions, I was able to boot into -s mode,
> manually mount and fsck the slices, and add the two kernel
> paramenters to /boot/loader.conf, using his maxpipekva and pipekva
> parameters and values
> ver batim; and this seemed to get me back up and running.
>
> Howver, whenever I now try to perform any intensive operations, such
> as cvsup or makeworld, the errors come right back and do not desist
> unless I reboot the machine.
>
> Is there a recommended value for these parameters if I've got a total
> of 340MB RAM, or another way of solving this problem?
>
> Thank you,
> ~John

Hi again folks,

In addition to the above, cron is now dumping signal 11 cores on me
every two minutes.  I had one suggestion to check the value of
"openfiles" in /etc/login.conf, but that's already set to "unlimited".

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
~John