Date:      Wed, 08 Feb 2017 12:34:36 -0500
From:      <scratch65535@att.net>
To:        freebsd-ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 14:43:25 +0000, Matthew Seaman
<matthew@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>On 02/08/17 11:56, scratch65535@att.net wrote:
>> So, what's the deal here?  To "encourage" people to upgrade, pkg
>> will break their existing install?  That is both hostile and
>> deeply arrogant!
>
>mat's response is more exasperation than anything else.  This is a well
>known problem for which there have been /numerous/ bug reports.  You're
>meant to check that there isn't already a relevant bug report when
>creating a PR in bugzilla.

I *did* check for bug reports.  I did a search on "utimenstat"
and found exactly one, which had been withdrawn as not being a
bug.

But it *is* a bug.  It's a bug on several levels, the most
significant of which is that the overly frantic schedule makes
versions have the lifespan of a mayfly.   And we're told "just
upgrade", as though there's some physical law mandating the
craziness.

There are people for whom the system is a tool, not a hobby. They
don't want to have to rebuild their tools any more than
carpenters want to replace their hammers and levels every year or
two.

For those people (I'm one) long version lifespans and bug-free
operation  is a much bigger desideratum than winning the secret
race (I presume there is some kind of secret race going on, since
otherwise the crazy scheduling makes No Sense At All).  I can't
work out what the strategy for winning is, if there is a
strategy, but I do know that it's not working.   Linux has all
but won already, and that's sickening.

I've been using the o/s since before v2 (I still have the cds)
and have watched FreeBSD go from being the leading Unix on Intel
boxes to all-but-dead.  I don't know how to express how saddened
I feel about that.