Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 06:25:36 EST
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        BCSFD204@aol.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall and dhclient under 3.4

BCSFD204@aol.com writes:

> Looking at rc.firewall, the design appears to assume that you have a static
> IP address.  Since I have to use ISC dhclient to connect to Road Runner the
> "oip" value may change from time to time.
>
> If there is a way to change rc.firewall so it can work with changing 'outside
> IP addesses' I have not found it.

Use the outside interface instead of its address.
The "simple" firewall type in rc.firewall uses this extensively.

Personally, I think this (the interface approach) is a good general
practice.  *Never* hardcode an address in *anywhere* unless it's
absolutely necessary.  [It *is* often necessary with ipfw,
particularly when there's more than one external address, but not in
this case.]

 - Lowell