Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:35:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        bms@spc.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devd limitations / automounting removable storage

In message: <20030916232724.GG3052@saboteur.dek.spc.org>
            Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org> writes:
: Any objections to adding devd notifications to the CAM layer? It would
: allow us to automount such devices. Specifically I'm thinking that a
: program to change the running automounter map could be used.

I'd make them different types of events.  I'd also prototype it up to
see how bad things get.

In the long term, we want CAM to be newbus.

However, in the long term we'd also like to move away from doing
things to devices, and more towards doing things on the resources they
provide to the system.  When a network interface appears, we should
use that event, not that a driver attached.

The simple devd detach/attachment stuff we do now gets us a lot of
bang for the buck, but there are limitations.

Warner