Date:      Sat, 22 May 2010 21:01:13 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: atapicam issues

On 22 May 2010, at 20:47, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
> I have 2 systems running 8.0 installed from the same CD.  One of them =
shows 2 PASS devices as expected and camcontrol devlist shows the =
appropriate devices.  They work as expected.
>=20
> The other does not show any PASS devices and camcontrol devlist shows =
nothing.  Doing a kldload atapicam installs the PASS devices and then =
camcontrol works properly.  Why would that system require atapicam to be =
manually added?  That module was not loaded on the working system.  I =
installed it there first by accident but it had no detrimental effect.
files._______________________________________________
>=20
> atapicam is loaded from /boot/loader.conf as most hardware kernel mods =
are.  AFAIK, something would have needed to changed on your working =
system the behavior you report.  Perhaps you followed the handbook's =
instructions about cd burning long ago and forgot you edited the config?
>=20
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

Both machines were installed from the same CD over old Windows systems.  =
They were installed within a few days of each other.  loader.conf only =
has "console=3Dcomconsole".  Reading through the handbook page above it =
indicates that atapicam needs to be loaded in /boot/loader.conf.  I'll =
add that to both machines.  Makes me wonder why the one worked.  kldstat =
showed it was not loaded.=