Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:51:07 +0100
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Decent book on code reading

Hi all,

I stumbled across an interesting book and found a nice surprise as well.

I bought _Code Reading_ by Diomidis Spinellis and published by
Addison-Wesley.  If it isn't obvious, it's about how to read, understand,
and modify already existing code.  It's supposed to help with very large and
complex codebases.

Here's the neat part: the book uses NetBSD as the main example.  The version
it uses is a couple of years old, but the points are still valid.  Almost
every example of a specific technique or a point he wants to make is
footnoted to a source file in the NetBSD tree.

Plus, it comes with a CD packed full of examples, including Java.

I'm still in the process of reading it, so I can't give a complete opinion
just yet.  But I thought some of you might find it interesting, especially
the BSD connection.

NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.