Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:47:42 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IR Remote for AverMedia and FlyVideo

Josef Karthauser writes:

> I've got a phototransistor plugged into my DTR line on the serial
> port.  Is there any working software for FreeBSD for utilising this?
> (I want to never lose a remote control again!)

Oh My Goodness! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Can somebody get me started with links to whatever online IR technology
is out there? I am in need of a bunch of IR remote control units which
can be controlled via serial port or other simple computerized means.

While in the past One For All made inexpensive IR remote controls with
a serial port, they changed the design about 4 years ago and refused to
publish the spec. Do not know if they still include any kind of serial
port in current models. Wouldn't do me any good unless I have
documentation.

As for "phototransistor plugged into my DTR line", this is a job for a
$2 microcontroller, not a task for a multiuser multitasking OS. I
*think* you can start at http://www.mcu.motsps.com/ and follow the
68HC05 family and find a reference design using a 68HC705K IR
controller. It is a very simple design and does very few commands. Its
not intented to be a "build to print IR controller." Only a example to
get one started. The code is given for generating IR commands. The
68HC705K family features IRQ and pullups on some of its I/O pins
allowing one to connect to a keyboard with zero external components.
Probably would want to substitute another '05, possibly one with a
serial port.

Other Motorola app notes provide example code to implement UARTs in
software.

Also at the same site is a DOS-based 68HC05 assembler. I've been
meaning to see if it runs under doscmd.