Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 06:55:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        lcremean@tidalwave.net, louie@TransSys.COM, insane1@geocities.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP PCI modem

> > > First of all, if you have a WinModem (e.g., a modem without a brain that
> > > relies on the system CPU to do a bunch of work), then you're just screwed
> It could be neat if we start collecting info on "WinModems" : manufacturer,
> board, chipset, etc...
>
> I doubt that they offload that much work to the cpu most likely the chipsets
> are very similar to the bt848 for which the control program logic resides

from a recent discussion on the mgetty lists i learned that there are
two kinds -- one where only controller functionality (i.e. AT command
partsin etc.) is demanded to the host, the other one where the winmodem
is basically a soundcard and all signall processing is done by the
host. The latter give a lot more CPU load although one always wonders
what we need CPU cycles for... i am still happily running FreeBSD
on a Pentium133 and don't feel like i need to upgrade!

	luigi