Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:13:15 +0700
From:      Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Janketh Jay <jankyj@unfs.us>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Hi,

On 03 June 2012 23:03:47 Janketh Jay wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I do not understand why people get pushed away instead of offering
> > them a helping hand. This is at least what I do whenever possible.
> >
> 	There will always be beginners. People are curious. That's how
> everything gets it's start. Well, besides Microsoft who was basically
> the only supplier of personal computers in the beginning.
>
> 	No one is asking anyone to learn something else first. People can
> come straight to FreeBSD (or any BSD for that matter) directly out of
> the womb. However, expecting hand-holding is something that simply
> isn't going to happen. In fact, I've RTFM so many times it makes me
> sick. But, that sickness has turned into a love. It's all about
> solidity, man! Curiosity kills every cat. :)
>
> 	There is no reason to assume that people get pushed away from using
> FBSD. There are plenty of resources out there where people have gone
> above and beyond to help n00bs out. There is how-to for almost
> anything! On top of that, the forums and mailing lists are STILL
> helping people that refuse to RTFM. There are exponential amounts of
> help out there. If people aren't willing to learn, that's where the
> problem ensues.
>

> >> And Linux, as far as I'm concerned is more complex than FreeBSD.
> >
> > I would not use the word complex, I use the word chaotic.
> >
> 	I can agree with "chaotic"...
>
> >> Especially it's package management. I don't like the idea of
> >> having no choices when I install an application. Of course, I
> >> could go WAY out
> >
> > This depends very much on the distribution.
> >
> > This even changes very fast from release to release.
> >
> 	The release changes are actually what drive me the most nuts. I can't
> remember the last time I was able to update a Debian or Ubuntu release
> without having to do SERIOUS work to make it function the same as
> before. I don't like dealing with that.
>
> >> of my way to create, build, and install an SRPM, but bugger that!
> >> It's not easy! Linux is only thought of as easy because of the
> >> graphical installer and the fact that it installs X out of the
> >> box. FreeBSD used to do that, actually. Back in the 4.X days you
> >> could choose to install XFree86 and KDE, Gnome, etc... But, that
> >> was a waste of valuable disk space in the long run.
> >
> > How big is X and how big is a DVD? Why is it possible for others to
> > pack it onto a DVD?
> >
> 	I'm not talking about a DVD. FreeBSD supplies the latest (at the time
> of release) Xorg and many WM/DE's on their DVD. I've just gone the
> route of "boot-only" since about FBSD 5.X. It's much easier to run a
> "pkg_add -r xfce4" and just be done than waste all the time
> downloading and burning a DVD.
>
> > I did not even notice that X is not part of the installation media
> > any more as I always try to install the ports from the current
> > ports tree.
> >
> 	I agree. I use ports for just about everything. Initially, to get
> things up and running, I install mandatory software with "pkg_add".

this is how I fix the things most of the time when a fast solution is needed. Still, I prefer the ports. The main reason is the slow Internet connection I have currently.

> Then, I simply update using the ports tree. I can't think of the last
> time I had an issue updating my previously installed packages via the
> ports tree. Perhaps you could bust out another fresh install of FBSD
> and let us know what issues you're having. The maintainers would
> *LOVE* that. Seriously. How are we supposed to make things better if

As I have said already before. I have to travel for some time now. I only will go back to FreeBSD when I come home again.

Ok, maybe I will buy another hard disk and have a try before.

> no one lets us know what is wrong? All bitching aside, just let us
> know, bro. We're more than happy to make things work properly.

Do not worry about this. I am a strong believer in exchange opinions here is the strongest point of FreeBSD. People who cannot provide the solution in plain software cannot complain afterwards if nobody writes it for them.

Erich