Date:      Tue, 13 May 2008 12:11:19 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Novembre <novembre@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Compiz Fusion brings all Gnome with itself

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 02:19:29PM -0500, Novembre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Compiz Fusion on my machine using packages. Installing it
> from ports was unsuccessful since it needs gio-fam-backend which in turn
> needs glib-2.16.3 to be installed. I don't really want to update my glib
> since I don't know if I need to update all my system (or at least those
> packages which depend on it) as well or not after updating glib (I just
> didn't want to take the risk). Anyhow, installing Compiz Fusion from ports
> brought with it all Gnome:

[snip]

> especially, 'ps -ax' now shows these two processes running:
> -------------
> 865  ??  I      0:00.15 /usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2 14
> 876  ??  I      0:00.03 gnome-pty-helper
> -------------
>
> How can I stop them from running when I start X? And how can I remove all
> these useless Gnome packages that I won't use? Do I need to update
> everything that depends on it if I decide to update glib?
>
> Thanks a lot :)

You *might* be able to build compiz-fusion without all those gnome
packages by:

# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/compiz-fusion
# make config

and unticking the gconf option and then building it.

If I was in your position, I'd leave it unless you're short of disk
space or other resources eg. cpu, ram. Gnome is pretty much essential
if you're going to use X a lot since a lot of things depend on it.
Although, if you're running KDE & associated apps you might be able to
get away without it.

glib is just another port/package ie. not part of the base system and
you can add/update it without any ill-effects. Check
/usr/ports/UPDATING first though, as you always should before
adding/upgrading ports/packages.

HTH.

Regards,

--