Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:30:23 GMT
From:      Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/154589: ath_hal(4) manpage lists incorrect Netgear adapter as supported

The following reply was made to PR docs/154589; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@freebsd.org>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org,
 jason.mann@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 09:07:23 -0600

 There are three versions of the WG311 now, all using different chipsets.  At
 the time the manpage was written, there was only one version of the WG311, and
 it does in fact use an atheros chipset.  Today it is called the WG311v1, and
 is works with ath.  I believe the v2 is also an atheros and also works with
 ath.  The v3 is definitely not an atheros though, and isn't supported.  The v3
 is also what you can buy these days.

 The man page is somewhat like a book written about World War One in 1924.

 Many of the wireless man pages are in the same shape as this one.  The same
 product can be based on several chipsets throughout it's lifespan, and
 oftentimes the man pages reflect the situation that existed when they were
 written or updated, not the situation as it exists today.

 I'd recommend listing the WG311v1 as supported as well as the WG311T, since we
 know for sure these work.  Perhaps someone with a v2 and v3 can provide input
 as to their status.

 --
 Thanks,

 Josh Paetzel