Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:36:40 -0400
From:      Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE question (repeat)

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 09:56:08AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> what are you using for pppoe?

Errr. Right now, nothing. :)

I saw these values as I was attempting to teach ppp(8) to speak pppoe. I
pretty much followed the RFC in sending the PADI - I'd fire off a packet with
a zero-length Service-Name tag, and in the PADO, I'd see a zero length
Service-Name tag in the reply (2 actually, IIRC), and the aforementioned AC-Name
tag.

My ISP also distributed some source code for Linux users to use. Other than it
being rather ugly and inefficient, it did the same thing - sending a PADI with
a zero-length Service-Name tag.

If you'd like, when I get home, I'll try to set things up to  sniff
the connection while  running the windows software provided, and see if
I can find out anything more.

josh