Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:01:54 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home pc use

[ Adding to my previous reply. ]

On 2001-11-21 03:27:55, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > All traps in kernel mode go through a procedure
> > that does a core dump before rebooting the
> > machine.
>
> Maybe I missed the dump.  Where does it go by default?  I looked in what seemed
> like likely places, like / and /tmp and what-not, but I didn't see anything that
> ended in .core.

If the kernel panics, and saves a dump in the swap area, you will see
messages like these during the next boot:

    dumpon: crash dumps to /dev/ad0s3b (116, 262145)
    Checking for core dump:
    savecore: reboot after panic: bremfree: bp 0xc2140484 not locked
    savecore: system went down at Mon Nov 19 13:58:31 2001

Then in /var/crash you will find the dump files, named kernel.N and
vmcore.N, where `N' is a number.

-giorgos