Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 02:01:04 -0400
From:      "freebsd@tcowen.com" <freebsd@tcowen.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating

now that I have all the stable sources and have updated all the ports
and docs, to update the system I assume I can follow section 19.4 of the
handbook. but what about updating things I have previously installed?
for example I have ipfilter installed. and say I am trying to update a
system that things were installed on by other people, how will I know
which programs are installed and need to be reinstalled? and at what
point along the process should they be reinstalled.