Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:32:32 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous Reboots

Just a thought I noticed in reading all the mail. It appears that most of the
people who upgraded from 2.2.x to 3.0-STABLE are the ones with the most
problems. People (like myself) who went to 3.0 on a clean install, and then
started tracking stable seem to be doing ok. I went so far as to build a
release of 3.0-STABLE, and install from that. I've had a days worth of uptime
with each of the versions, and haven't had a single problem with reboots
that people have been complaining about all along the upgrade path.

Heck, I can even try to write to read only media (ie - a CD), and it just
comes back and complains "<file>: Read-only file system". No panics on
the unmount, either.

You may want to consider freshly clean install of -STABLE, or at least
upgrade to 3.0 before following the stable path. Might find it works better.
I also think I remember an email from Jordan saying (paraphrasing) that the
upgrade path is filled with pitfalls....

	-Brian