Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 11:11:21 -0400
From:      "David Stanford" <dthomas53@gmail.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        reflex@rotten.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD logo

On 5/13/06, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> [...]

I wasn't aware they had to (?).

>Maybe I'm going out on a limb
> >here, and maybe I'm solo dangling out there on it, but I feel a need
> >to say something in defense. They spent
>
> they wasted

IYOO

> much valued donation money for
> >the logo and in legal fees, I'm sure, to obtain it, so I would assume
> >(and hope) it's here to stay.
>
> Unlikely.  Most corporate logos change every 10-20 years or so.  Some
> also have a raft of logos.  For example Chrysler used to use the
> medallion for it's logo.  Then they switched to the pentagram.  Now
> they are back to the medallion and it's been redone.    AT&T has also
> changed logos, they used to use the bell then the Death Star, now
> they are using a modifed Death Star.  Fads and fashions
> in logos come and go.  The current FreBSD sex toy logo is very
> much a current fashion, as abstract logos like that are all the
> rage now.  But it's just going to get dated all the faster for that.

You have entirely too much time on your hands. But my statement meant that =
hoped the Project isn't swayed out of using the logo because of childish
posts such as these.

>Furthermore, by continuing to post
> >threads like this you (and others) are hardly contributing to the
> >Project (or this list) and, in fact, are doing the exact opposite -
> >you are attempting to destroy the new logo's image by imaturely
> >calling it a "sex toy" and in turn are slowly taking away from those
> >precious dollars put into aquiring it.
>
> Why throw more good money after bad?

Not sure I know what this means. However, I would love to hear how this,
among your *many* other posts, has contributed to this list.

>Maybe it's not the greatest
> >logo, but, regardless, the logo doesn't affect the code. Try to keep
> >that in mind. FreeBSD is a gift. And anyone who doesn't see that
> >should take another look at Microsoft's pricing options for a simple
> >Home edition of XP (now $99, five years after its initial release).
> >Please do the community a favor: Just say thanks and move along.
> >

> The community doesen't want the new logo and the majority of the
> community
> prefers Beastie over the sex-toy.

You speak for the community?

>**Of course, this was not aimed at the general community, but more
> >specifically at the folks wasting everyone's inbox space the past few
> >days with this nonsense.**
> >

> like yourself?

Agreed, and this will be my last post on the subject - though, I'm sure it
won't be yours...

Ted

-David