Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:08:34 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packet passing performance study on exotic hardware.

The opportunity presented itelf for me to test packet passing ability
on some fairly exotic hardware.  The motherboard I really wanted to
test not only had separate memory busses for each cpu, but also had
two separate PCI-X busses (one slot each).  To this, I added two
intel pro/1000 gigabit ethernet cards (PCI-X versions).

I had two sets of processors to test: two 246's and two 240's.

The packets in this test are all minimal 64 byte UDP packets.

My first goal was to determine the DDOS stability of FreeBSD 5.3, and
Linux on this hardware.  I was using amd64 binaries for both FreeBSD
and linux.

Right out of the box (with polling), Linux passed 550 kpps (kilo
packets wer second).  Full data rate would be 1.9 mpps.  On linux, the
240 processors passed only 450 kppps (which is somewhat expected).

Right out of the box, FreeBSD 5.3 (with polling) passed about 200
kpps.  net.isr.enable=1 increased that without polling to about 220
kpps (although livelock ensued without polling as packet load
increased).  With excessive tuning, we got FreeBSD 5.3 to pass 270
kpps.  This included polling, nmbclusters, net.isr, and some em
patches.  I can't see where to get more performance.

To compare, we loaded FreeBSD-5.3 ia32 and achieved almost identical
performance.

Then, also to compare, we loaded FreeBSD-4.10 ia32 and it promptly
passed 550 kpps (almost identical to the linux performance) (with
polling).

Some interesting things about 5.3(-BETA4) in this environment:

  - without polling, it definately livelocks.

  - with polling and excessive packets, it doesn't "receive" the full
    load of packets.  In netstat -w, they show as input "errors"
    although the number of "errors" isn't strictly related to the
    number of dropped packets.  It's just some large number that
    generally increases with the number of dropped packets.

  - With net.isr and not polling, both cpus are used (220 kpps)

  - With net.isr and polling, one cpu is used (270 kpps, one cpu free
    for other tasks)

  - It's worth noting that only FreeBSD 5.3 used two cpus to pass
    packets at any time.  Neither linux nor 4.10 used the other cpu.

  - hz and polling tuning options didn't really change packets passed
    significantly.

During the next week, I will continue testing with full simulated
routing tables, random packets and packets between 350 and 550 bytes
(average ISP out/in packet sizes).  I will add to this report then.
If anyone has tuning advice for FreeBSD 5.3, I'd like to hear it.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |