Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:15:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current SNAP installation panics

Lo and behold, Doug White once said:

> --------
> >    My $.02 says that I have a hardware problem, most likely dead memory,
> > but I'm wondering if anyone has a more precise idea before I start
> > strangling my supplier and asking for a replacement?
>
> Always a good guess :-)
>
> >     It still panics with both the onboard and external caches disabled.
> > It's a P133, triton chipset/award bios, 2 XP3125 quantum grand-prix
> > (oops) 2gb HDs, 32 megs of 60-ns non-edo ram, adaptec 2940W controller,
> > off-brand PCI video card.
> >
> >     Clues?  Memory?
>
> Panic details?  (error message, panic code, etc.)

   It's not quoted in the your message, but in my original I stated that I
wasn't including them because they varied -- I never got the same kernel
panic twice.  Different routines, different processes, different stack
pointers.

   I took the easy way out and gutted another of my computers for
its RAM.  Presto, working perfectly.  I'm just very relieved it wasn't
the motherboard.  (Past -questions and -hackers archive messages from
Mike Smith indicate that problems of that nature are most likely
a) memory, b) cache memory, or c) a horked motherboard.  I wasn't in
the mood to open the case up, because the computer is from a new
supplier, and I wans't sure what their policies were w.r.t.
the warranty were.

   -Dave

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)